What Does An Air Freight Agent Do?
When it comes to enlisting a shipping service to transport cargo, there are many people involved the task of making sure that the cargo reaches its destination on-time and intact. Air Freight Agents are one particular group of people who play a major role in transporting freight. Air freight agents are responsible for the import and export of cargo by means of an airplane. They act on behalf of the airlines that pay them a fee for their service. Some air freight agents specialize within certain countries and others specialize in shipping items all over the world.
Duties of Air Freight Agent can include:
- Directing inbound and outbound air freight shipments to their prearranged destinations
- Assembling cargo according to their destination that includes arranging space for the shipment.
- Receiving bookings from customers for shipments and arranging for pickup of the freight and delivery to the cargo airplane
- Weighing the cargo and calculating the shipment costs. They put freight bills in order and accept shipping payments from the customers.
- Assembling appropriate documents and prepares and processes the documents and includes the information with the shipments
- Notifying shippers of departure delays
- Unloading inbound freight and contacting customers when the cargo arrives, as well as arranging for delivery.
- Arranging cargo movement to an international destination. Prepares international documentation that includes: commercial invoice, shipper's export declaration, bill of lading, and other documents required by the carrier or country they are shipping to
Some air freight agents specialize in certain cargo such as clothing. All air freight agent services have their own specific rules and regulations for transporting cargo. One of these regulations is not permitting the import and export of illegal and prohibited goods. They will also have certain weight limitations. If a customer's cargo surpasses the maximum allowed weight, there are usually added shipping costs
Most air freight agents will arrange for pick up cargo from the customer's location and deliver the cargo right to the recipient's door step. Sometimes there is an additional price associated with door-to-door delivery. The agent can also arrange for discounts for a large volume of cargo.
For shipments that are time-sensitive or destined to an isolated location, air freight shipping is the most effective and quickest way of shipping. Air freight agents are there to meet customer needs as well as ensuring airline transportation runs smoothly.
Air freight agents are able to ensure an efficient and easy transport of cargo by bringing all shipping processes together so that the cargo arrives at its destination on time and in the same condition as when it was shipped. Agents are knowledgeable about the shipping process and can answer such inquiries as: if the item can be picked up and delivered to the destination, shipping insurance prices, when the item will arrive, and the methods they use to track an item. When calling an agent, make sure you have the measurements and weight of the cargo.
Individuals and businesses that have used the services of an air freight agent have enjoyed the benefits of hassle-free freight shipment. Using a highly regarded air freight agent who understands the air transport procedure ensures a stress free, easy, and safe delivery of your air freight cargo.
Join Our Community!
Like what you see? Get a FREE account and start posting, sharing, and discovering more!
Have Questions? Contact Us!
Find out the answers to your questions by contacting us. We look forward to hearing from you!